Hessen is the German software hotspot No. 1. The greatest number of the most successful software enterprises in Germany are located in Hessen. Well-known scientific institutions offer excellent research and development conditions, and they nourish the high ICT education level. The locational advantage of a dynamic traffic infrastructure in the center of Europe and its attractive internationality strengthen these success factors and transform Hessen into a convincing software region with great new perspectives.
Key figures of the Hessian software market
- Status 2007:
Turnover: 2,77 Mrd. EUR
- Growth 2006-2007:
Turnover: 20 %
Enterprises: 7 %
Employees: 10 %
Strengths and Potentials
- 3.888 software houses represent 37 % of all Hessian ICT enterprises.
- The amount of software and games enterprises in Hessen has grown about 50,6 % in 2000-2006
- "Silicon Valley of Europe" (Study Truffle 2010):
The software region Rhein-Main-Neckar generates more than 50 percent of the turnover of the biggest 100 software enterprises in Europe.
- "The centre fo the German software industry" (Prognos-Zukunftsatlas / Handelsblatt):
In the region of Darmstadt about 450 start-ups appear every year on the top of 4.500 companies with 25.000 employees.
- The greatest number of the most successful software enterprises in Germany are located in Hessen (source: Lünendonk 2008):
6 of the top25-IT-Consulting and System integration enterprises, 3 of the 5 greatest - place No. 1
7 of the top24-Standard software enterprises - place No. 2
5 of the top25-IT Service enterprises - place No. 3
4 of the top12-Business innovation/transformation enterprises - place No. 1